Sunday, April 24, 2016

My Best Outfits

I've been thinking a lot about how helpful it is to be a self-reflective person and implement mindfulness both at work, outside of work and of course, PERSONAL STYLE. I was recently inspired by Social Print Studio to put together a lookbook of some of my favourite outfits and it seemed that the universe was telling me before I look forward, I need to really examine where I've been first. Social Print Studio is a platform that allows users to create custom photo books, bringing your favourite digital snaps to life in a physical lookbook! For the sake of comparing apples with apples, and not apples with oranges, avocados or olive oil I've chosen outfits from the last six months so that the aesthetic and photography all remain cohesive throughout this blog post. And although I'm sure there are old outfits on this blog which I would happily wear again, I've learned a lot about the value of editing and creating a polished product since this blog's inception. Curating beautiful photographs is the lens through which we are able to fully appreciate clothing, so without further ado, I'd like to synopsis each outfit and why I felt confident wearing it. 

Something I really enjoy doing is wearing thrifted vintage clothing with designer accessories, case in point this outfit inspired by Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter and Suzy Bishop from Moonrise Kingdom. The dress was bought from Saver's for less than ten dollars and the jacket was two dollars. The hat is from the Meadham Kirchhoff archive (thank you eBay gods!) and the shoes were bought on sale from Net-a-Porter. Whenever I wear these shoes, I leave a little trail of pink glitter behind. 



I still can't believe I only payed eight dollars for this vintage dress. It's so well made, I love the number of panels and the ruffles on it as well. I've spoken at length about the shopping trip which yielded this gem as well as the memories I ave attached to red and florals on blue. Since buying it I've tacked the hem to make it asymmetrical (since I can't bare the thought of butchering such a lovely dress!) I feel totally unstoppable when I wear it, and the number of looks from strangers it attracts doesn't bother me at all.

The shoes which make me feel like the hyper literalisation of a 50 Ft Queenie are my Meadham Kirchhoff boudoir platform heels. But then  I feel sad because the company doesn't exist anymore despite several commercially successful collaborations with Topshop. The fact that they are heavy and so well made does cheer me up though, especially when I am clomping around the house or carefully treading on cobblestones in the city. 
 
Heavily inspired by the rare birds of Advanced Style, I basically wanted to wear an outfit which made me feel fabulous. As I found out, style and feeling fabulous is a state of mind which can be helped by wearing oversized earrings and a sequin covered turban. To dress this look down I wore my trusty Nike Roshe shoes I bought second hand for forty dollars. When else am I going to have a pair of shoes that perfectly matches my dress?


OK I realize now that my hair looks super messy in these photos and would have been easily fixed with a can of hairspray BUT I love this outfit because it feels like I mastered layering. It had been a long time since I last wore this sweater and I was unsure if I was able to style it in new and interesting ways. What I can tell you is that I surprised myself. If I can tell you a secret, at the time this photo was taken I was unable to zip up my jeans but discovered I could continue wearing them if I wore a skirt over the top.

6 comments:

  1. I love all these amazing outfits! My favorite outfit is the one with those badass platforms. You're killing it!


    xx AlexisSplash

    Deadlikeyourfame.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 'em all! You're lovely and have style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the second outfit! How was it only 8 dollars - it's gorgeous!! x

    Eleanorclaudie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, that last one!!!! It is so cute and such a great idea. I have never thought about wearing jeans and a skirt!!!! You've opened my mind, hahaha. All of these outfits are so cute though, each one has that special item that really makes it unique, I loooovvvvvee it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog! I am a new follower <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are so cool i cant deal! love your blog following :D

    ReplyDelete