Wednesday, February 10, 2016

DIY rainbow unicorn necklace

On Sunday I was feeling super bored, so I decided to make a necklace using embroidery thread instead of nylon or elastic and these beads. The materials are all things I had lying around the house that I wanted to use to make something (I've been trying to clean my room for weeks now).

For this DIY you will need:

  • beads
  • charms
  • metal links
  • clasp
  • sewing needle
  • thread
  • pliers

This isn't so much a DIY tutorial as it is a way for me to show off my latest creation but I figure many of you know how to make a necklace.




Tie thread to one end of the metal clasps and add beads, remembering to use your charm of choice in the middle. Attach to a second chain link attached to the clasp. Continue to add as many individual necklaces until you have reached the desired effect. 

If you want to be sure your charm is in the middle of your necklace and that each charm aligns I would recommend measuring the dimensions. Otherwise the necklace will look a little more like mine (in the end I did really like it though).





The great thing about these necklaces is that they can be worn with other jewelry and dress up an old vintage blouse. Also, the more necklaces you wear the better.


Wearing: Vintage blouse, gifted rose quartz necklace and DIY rainbow necklace.

The last pieces from my rock collection (for now) are stones my parents bought for me years ago, before high school and before doing a degree in geology. On the left is Morganite, which belongs to the same group of minerals as Aquamarine and Emerald and the right is Rose Quartz. If you watch Steven Universe, then you know what that is. All mineral colouration is due to the substitution of elements, in the case of rose quartz it's due to iron substituting in the crystal lattice.

6 comments:

  1. This is so cute, you're definitely inspiring me to try making some jewellery! x
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! then this post served its purpose :)

      Delete
  2. Such a cute necklace! I've done some choker making recently and it's such a satisfying way of making things. I love the pinky - rainbow colours you choose. Your rocks are also pretty cool, I'm trying to build up my crystal collection at the moment xx

    Jessthetics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried making chokers yet but there is something satisfying about choosing what colours go together

      I didn't think I'd be obsessed with collecting rocks/ gems but I'm really enjoying it atm!

      Delete