Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Mary Benson- Tableaux Vivants







I wish there were more photos of this collection but I can't find any! Introducing Mary Benson, instagram darling and online enigma. I can't find much information about her or the photographs from her runway presentations other than from her instagram account but her signature holographic party dresses and bomber jackets are a spectacle to behold. I imagine her influences to be churches (as indicated by the obvious stained glass window references) and the bathtub scene from Harry Potter. Her video sparks a different set of influences which vary from Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven to the English renaissance and other historical eras reenacted by the BBC. At twenty-three years old Benson has already worked under the likes of Richard Nicoll and the prominent Alexander McQueen. While at first I thought her designs were distinctively unique and specific to this young British designer the figure hugging armour-like appearance of her dresses does seem to evoke her influences.

Particularly in McQueen's feminist approach to fashion. “I want to empower women. [...] When you see a woman... It [...] fends people off. It’s almost like putting armor on a woman. It’s a very psychological way of dressing.”

*Images via Creative Boys Club

8 comments:

  1. How have I never heard of Mary Benson? Those dresses look like a bunch of characters all trying to tell their stories. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. couldn't agree with you more- and it's the designers who combine their artistry with story telling that I am most interested in sharing on my blog :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this collection is amazing! I love especially the first jacket!
    Nice blog, dear! (:

    http://www.caterina-m.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely obsessed with the jackets too <3

      Delete
  3. Amazing collection!

    kirstywinter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really love all the collection, gorgeous outfit!

    www.ismurfshion.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waaaw I love this. where is she from?
    Thanks for sharing!
    xo Charlotte - aliceroxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London I believe- or I first became acquainted with her during the hype of London Fashion Week :)

      Delete