Saturday, January 17, 2015

Hodge Podge









Wearing: Thrifted blouse, Meadham Kirchhoff X Topshop skirt and socks, Dr Martens shoes.

For a while it seemed the only outfits I could come up with were hyper obsessively colour coordinated and that I was totally incapable of wearing more than a small combination of colours. That has largely to do with my blogging influences and their personal style but it really limited what outfits I would want to wear. It feels good to return to a way of dressing or simply exploring different textures without necessarily worrying whether everything matches or not. I got inspired after writing my last post about Pum Pum Socks so much so that I needed to make an outfit with frilly socks but I also wanted to show off my new Dr Martens. They're a really crazy colour and challenging to style but that's part of the reason I bought them in a bid to create more interesting outfits. They add a certain Freaks & Geeks aesthetic about them which seems fitting with the thrifted handmade blouse, art pins and fluffy PVC skirt. 

16 comments:

  1. Love this outfit! The handmade blouse is beautiful. I think it all works well together (like how the socks reference the puffy skirt and the lace on the shirt). It's like, the clothes are all a bit understated/have softer colours and textures, and then the shoes are like BAM! So unexpected. But that's what makes it interesting. I like the idea of playing with textures, which seems like it's more difficult than just paying attention to colours. Like, you have to think about it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think subconsciously that's what I was trying to achieve, in terms of the colours and then my choice of shoes. Texture is definitely different to handle, esp when we consider how clothes can be divided into seasons and better suited for different types of weather.

      Delete
  2. I love this outfit! I love the unexpected pop of colour your shoes add to the otherwise quite muted shades. I recently bought the exact same style of DMs but in gold which I love but are proving a challenge to style from how I'm normally used to dressing but it's so fun to push myself! And I've strangely found that they kind of go with any outfit which has been a liberating realization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nothing could be more exciting than the realisation that discovering something can match other pieces in your wardrobe. Certain pieces have a fluidity about them and seem constantly changing as your style evolves

      Delete
  3. Love this look! Super unique and cute

    http://v0gueandtrends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this outfit, its so cute!

    http://stylesequinsandstripytights.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shoes!!! your outfit is gorgeous omg xxx
    If you had a minute, it would be lovely if you could checkout my blog!
    www.pickledsunflowers.blogspot.in
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! will definitely check it out :)

      Delete
  6. Your glittery skirt with the fur trim is fantastic! Love your style and cute blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The skirt has a curious shape, and I love very much the shoes and it's color and how look with those socks ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the skirt is like a size too small for me so I wear it on the waist rather than on the hip but I still love it <3

      Delete
  8. such an unique style! love this, definitely following! xo

    thewatercolourjar.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete