Friday, January 9, 2015

And all I feel is black and white


I'm slowly beginning to understand and gain an appreciation for fashion bloggers who can pull together an all-white or all-black outfit. Like black and white photography you can't have the same approach to colour that you would normally have. Instead things like the silhouette and overall shape, as well as composition becomes much more important and accessories such as a simple hat or pair of sunglasses can make or break an outfit. At first it all looked the same to me since I wear so much colour in different patterns but upon closer inspection there is an art to it. It was difficult for me to understand since an entirely black wardrobe would naturally coordinate quite easily. But that in itself requires a kind of dedication, faith or discipline all of its own that I know I'm not capable of. My blog and personal style won't suddenly become a sober world, I won't pretend that I am too cool or disaffected for colour but some of the fashion editorials shot in black and white from eras like the 90s are absolutely stunning. And the 1950s girl gang aesthetic will be a reoccurring obsession of mine both in terms of aesthetic appreciation and as a feminist ideal.
1- Kate Moss for Calvin Klein, 2- Cindy Sherman's Untitled Film Stills, 3- Girls with guns circa 1920s. 4- Hoyo Maravilla gang girls, East LA, 1983 photographed by Janett Beckman, 5- Rosie From Boyle Heights In The 1940s, 6- unknown, 7- Sky Ferreira, 8- Charlotte Rampling by Helmut Newton, 1974. 9. 10- Julia Hetta, 12- Desperate Housewife at U+Mag, 13, 15- unknown. 17- Vintage Versace Campaign, 18- Lana Del Rey at The Bowery Ballroom by Chuck Grant 2011, 19- VOGUE USA DEC 1992 GRUNGE AND GLORY photo by Steven Meisel, 22- Ann-Sofie Back AW14.
11, 14, 21- The Old Crowd via Rookie Mag. 16 & 20- Courtney Love at Subterrania, London, 03/29/93.

11 comments:

  1. I love the 3rd one so much, I´ve used it as a screensaver for a while now, happy to see it here! Girl gangs are forever goals xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! they totally are and I'm glad I share a similar taste in photos with a reader of my blog :)

      Delete
  2. these photos are beautiful - black and white always captures something that colour will never be able to x

    www.weallscreamforicedreams.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly! to take a great black and white photo you have to think in an entirely different way!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black has always been a color I loved working with when it came to my wardrobe. I've recently started trying to wear more color but keep black in there somehow. :)
      The fourth photo reminds me of my mom's style when she was younger and I actually know the girl in the 5th photo. That's Roseli! :) We went to the same high school and (not to toot my own horn) she always liked my band shirts. Hahahah She was pretty cool.

      vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. I love everything about this post. I had the same realization this past fall about minimalist/monochrome style. I started to gradually love black and white outfits and appreciate the less is more aesthetic. (esp the ones seen on Sky Ferreira and Willow Smith for example). But I personally couldn't go full blown "New Yorker" all black and white it's just not for me. But every now and then its fun. But I just love patterns,colors, and textures too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ughh same same same you pretty much summed up (one of many) personal style dilemmas I have! aha

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, wow! I really really dig these photos. I think I will be forever obsessed with that nostalgic girl gang vibe~ ;-)

    themadmod.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love these photos, and the whole girl gang vibe. i agree with you: it does take a lot focus to be able to limit yourself to only certain clothes, and it leaves a lot more room to manipulate the details of the clothing (texture, cut, fit etc)- which can sometimes be where the true beauty of it is.

    // kani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I weren't so drawn to colour and patterns of my clothing I think I'd be better able to effectively use texture- which kind of feels like the result of high street brands making clothes accessible and mass produced

      Delete