Sunday, November 16, 2014

Pom Pom Squad

I always invariably discuss cheerleaders, pom poms and the ideal of American high schools. Even though I left high school behind three years ago I still wonder what it would be like to have my time all over again and if I would do things differently. Or would my experience have changed had I attended school in a different country which again brings me back to America and pop culture references of cheerleaders in movies. But surely because I am so old now doesn't that mean these feelings are more irrelevant and perhaps I should grow up and move on with my life? WRONG. Or at least that is not how my brain works and while it would be nice to live on a neat little timeline and experience things in a logical sequence of events, that is not how real life works either. 
So it would seem that cheerleaders and this lofty idea of high school has been so frequent that it has now caused me permanently corrupted me.

1- Freaks and Geeks, 2- Alex Turner's love letter to Alexa Chung written by unknown, 3 & 4- unknowns, 5- THE COOL CUSTOMER, 6- American Beauty (1999), 7- unknown, 8- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 9- Ghost World (2001) and Rookie Yearbook volume 1, 10- unknown via Ditzy and Whimzy, 11- unknown.

4 comments:

  1. I'm just about to finish highschool (I live in australia) and I have the same feelings about what I would have done differently if I had my time again/lived somewhere else. I've been looking forward to finishing school and moving on but now I'm confused with mixed feelings about what to do now. I don't want to grow up!! Beautiful photos by the way xx

    amehka-jai.blogspot. com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was an easy transition for me going out of high school into uni (aside from that shaky first week of classes)- but yeah all of a sudden I'm afraid to grow up!

      Delete
  2. I was actually thinking about American High Schools this morning at 5am. Not just cheerleaders but the structure and the extra curricular activities. My school had many activities I could choose from but they weren't always inclusive and most of them we sport/performing arts. Sure that's where my interest lies but what about yearbook club! I so wanted to do that!!

    I also wish to have a clichéd high school experience depicted in movies. Particularly some kind of morph between Mean Girls, Bring It On and Grease. I take comfort in the fact that although high school is over for me, College in America still has cheerleaders and I still have time to do exchange ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How helpful would it be if uni's took into account your extra curricular activities and if you are actually a good person though- would be so freaking useful!
      We had a yearbook thing for Year 12 at my school which was run by my literature teacher and just ugh, it was fun to do.

      Think I need to rewatch some old classics (as well as watch American Beauty maybe) to immerse myself in this aesthetic

      Delete