Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Ch-ch-ch-chaaange





Wearing: Thrifted trousers, Dr Martens boots, Target turtleneck and vintage denim jacket.

Yup, so now my hair is now pink. The last time I dyed my hair was when I was sixteen and it turned out awful. A family friend was our hairdresser at the time and interpreted my wish for streaks as a 'suggestion' rather than command and they turned out orange rather than blond. Needless to say, 2009 was a good year for fashion but I was a very gross, unpopular teenager in high school who wrote angsty things in her notebooks after bitchy girls tormented her in art class. It took a few years for the streaks to finally grow out which coincided with me leaving high school for bigger and better things but I was left with a certain dismay and general gloomy apprehension about hair dye.

I have had the same haircut for the last four years and have finally gotten sick of it and decided that I needed a change. Having low maintenance hair is good because mostly I get really caught up in my assignments during each semester but with a smaller workload I really want to keep up with blogging. I have also had the same hair because this is what my boyfriend is used to and I didn't want to freak him out at first but I was determined to do something for myself. I think that changing my hair colour forces me to think about personal style differently and the colours that I want to wear. For a while I have largely felt that I am not interesting enough and I have to tone down my weirdness because I am less likely to get harassed on the street and stuff.

But I've come to the conclusion that your twenties are about experimentation and doing wild stuff in order to figure out who you are and what you like. Your thirties are when you have a better idea of who you are but identity is never some fixed idea and is always a transient state. Unless of course you are a celebrity from a famous sitcom series who at the age of fifty still has the same hairstyle as when they peaked in popularity in order to convince the world that you do not age. But that is a crisis for another point in my life and I will continue to try new things and give myself a little treat each day.

4 comments:

  1. Adele, you are entirely interesting! I mean, how can someone who is "weird" ever be boring? (I don't know how you feel about the word "weird," that's why I put quotes around it. For me, what other people consider to be weird is normal, and vice versa, if that makes sense.) It sucks that you get harassed because of your style, but holding back and trying to hide yourself won't make things any easier (trust me). And I totally agree with what you say about being in your twenties; it's a pretty crazy time, learning about yourself.

    And your hair looks fantastic! Bold coloured clothes already look great on you, but with this colour hair, I think they'll stand out even more (thinking of the blue silk dress you recently posted pictures of).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty used to thinking of myself as weird or strange, but never that it was necessarily bad, just that I was different or had trouble fitting in which is not a problem anymore now that I'm older.

      Thank you, I'm still trying to figure out what outfits would go well with my hair and I kind of want to dress in a more cohesive way it that makes any sense? I'm having a lot of fun figuring it all out though!

      Delete
  2. I hope this experience gave you better thoughts towards hair dye because it looks like it turned out really well! I've never been able to bring myself to dye my own hair. (I guess that doesn't have to be a bad thing.)
    Do not feel obliged to tone down your weirdness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anneka! I guess you should never FEEL like you have to do or look a certain way just because you have a per-conceived idea in your head. But I wanted to explore my own sense of identity beyond a girl with long dark hair and it's worked out quite well :)

      Delete