Thursday, February 20, 2014

Chanel Fall 2012


I took the liberty of shuffling the order of the Chanel runway presentation, in order to create a rainbow of tweed and has nothing to do with being totally bored over the holidays. But I think you'll agree it's the best way to absorb cute matching skirt suits like your grandma would wear in the good old days when going to Church on a Sunday. Or maybe I've just been so engrossed with the most recent Chanel collections that altering the order of this presentation makes more sense aesthetically. Either way this is the formal and traditional image of Chanel as imagined by Karl Lagerfeld presenting a bounty of tweed. My fascination with exaggerated office wear has a lot to do with watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix so I can stare at Dolores Umbridge. Why? Well you see she's the ultimate crazy cat lady and had the greatest pink wardrobe which is why I pretty much watch that movie just for her. Don't get my wrong she's just as evil as Bellatrix Lestrange, evil and corrupt in her use of magic but she has a certain coordinated style which I aspire towards.


I was also taken with the glittery tights worn with each look and demure black kitten heels. My diaries have been slowly taken over by glitter (pictures are coming soon I promise) but my wardrobe has some catching up to do. Thankfully I think the whole Chanel Fall look from 2012 can be recreated even on a budget. Glittery tights cost a few dollars on eBay, you can find suitable heels when thrift shopping and the only tricky thing to find is a matching skirt and jacket suit. With the advent of Etsy that problem is solved for those willing to pay a pretty penny but it's still much cheaper than walking into a boutique store. In areas with proper rich histories and large thrift stores like America and England it's probably easier to find a matching suit when compared to Australia. Or maybe it's just the grass is greener on the other side envy I have.


The collection seemed a very safe, pretty and plain affair with a defined style and seemingly few accessories. The dreamer in me would have liked to see more matching handbags in a variety of different pinks, but they just didn't have time to plan that far ahead. If I had enough ingenuity myself I could probably learn to make one from recycled tweed or crochet something together but I'm not that competent when it comes to knitting needles, sewing or many handicrafts. I wanted to write this as the prelude for the most recent Chanel collections which knocked my socks off, but I felt it was important to curate these outfits. All the ideas and motifs are there, but the execution seems somehow different. Also I'm just plain interested in how long-lived brands change and adapt in order to survive and remain relevant to today's fashion.




1 comment:

  1. I love this color scheme of this!
    http://howfittingblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete