Monday, December 16, 2013

Grunge Glory

Last week I watched the Vogue documentary- not The September Issue, the other one The Editor's Eye (2012). The movie is a narration of American Vogue's history in the last seventy years, including memorable magazine spreads and editorials. It reminded me how much I loved a particular editorial; Grunge and Glory from December 1992. This passion was egged on by Anna Wintour's commentary, something along the lines of 'Grunge was the worst thing ever- I hope it never comes back'. But I also liked the story telling behind the photos, the creepy forest witch vibes and the inclusion of women of colour in the spread. I think I first saw it at Style Rookie and it just kind of quietly resonated with me until I felt the need (and for once had the time) to celebrate what may be one of the most controversial photo shoots in Vogue. Lately brightly colored plaid pants, Versace Versus campaigns and flannelette shirts have also been appearing on my Instagram feed and Tumblr dashboard, so I felt the need to celebrate and include them too.

2a- Gisele Bundchen by Inez & Vinoodh for W Magazine March 2003, 3; 4a- by Paola Kudacki for Teen Vogue September 2011, b- Sassy Magazine.
5a- unknown, b- 'Grunge Couture' in Vogue, January 2013, c- The Room.
6- La fièvre Grunge, Vogue Paris September 2013. 7- unknown via. 8b- by Gerdur Gudrun Arnadottir in Paris Vogue, September 2013. 9- Teen Vogue September 2011.
10a- La fièvre Grunge Vogue Paris September 2013, b, c- Forever 15. 11- 1996 Vogue It, Georgina Grenville by Satoshi Saikusa. 12a- unknown, b- Leeds Girls, 2011 by Sophie Percival. 13. 14a- Sassy Magazine, b- Givenchy, BCBG, Saint Laurent. 16b- Ghost World (2001), c- Tavi Gevinson. 17a- Versus S/S 1996, b- unknown, c- Style Rookie.
1, 2b, 8a, 14c, 15, 16a- Grunge and Glory by Steven Meisel, US Vogue December 1992.

4 comments:

  1. Hello meen, I've been following your blog for almost 6 months now without leaving any comment so I decided to quickly say hi today, just so you know you've got a fan somewhere. LOL. Your blog makes sense to me just like http://danieluyi.com, another similarly interesting blog that I'm also a fan of.

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so happy that style from the 90s is coming back especially grunge, I just love the colour combinations and fabric choices and the idea behind grunge, where comfort is key. Gorgeous! xx http://everchanginggirl70.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete