Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Nothing rhymes with orange














When I was in high school I tried to dye some of my hair blond. And when I say tried, I mean I technically followed the instructions on the box and used blond hair dye but since it was black to begin with it turned out a sickly orange colour instead. There was something delightfully naive about the whole dilemma now that I can look back on the experience through rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia. That satisfying feeling overrides the tragically social nature of the situation. You have to remember, it was high school- kids could be vicious about anything and everything. 

But that same naivety can be found in a high school yearbook, in motivational posters of kittens, girl scout patches and vintage photographs. Those things make me feel young and nostalgic- even though I technically wasn't alive during the 1970s or 1980s; I didn't join girl scouts and David Bowie is a relatively new discovery for me. (because I'm uncool okay??)
None of that feels like it matters, not even a little bit. Just because I didn't directly experience something does mean that I don't feel connected to it. I think I finally understand what it's like when you can't remember whether something happened in real life or a dream, whether you felt it or just watched a movie. But for me pictures seem to take on a life of their own- and I feel so alive now.

2a- David Bowie, b- unknown, c. 3- Album art for Q and Not U. 4a, b- Andy Warhol via, c- The Fifth Element (1997). 5. 6- Lily Cole.
7a- unknown, b-
Saskia De Brauw in “Boyish” by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott for Love #9, spring 2013. 1, 8, 11, 13b- via Rookie Mag. 10.
12a, b- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010), c. 13a, c-
Seventeen, March 1962. 14- jerry de wilde. 15- Creatures of the Wind. 16 via Minna Gilligan.

2 comments:

  1. I love that Girl scout badge, so cool! Also I had a very similar hair dying experience..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now know the importance of bleach and preparing hair before dye now!

      Delete