Thursday, August 15, 2013

Giles Spring 2010



Admittedly I've been browsing through a lot of Susie Bubble's blog, Style Bubble so the once strange combination of pastels, neon and metallic tones have all become the norm in terms of my fashion taste. They also nicely culminated nicely in the Giles Spring collection three years ago. I know, I'm horribly outdated but honestly I treasure my old fashion magazines above the new Australian Vogues (advertising rags) and I'm a little too socially awkward to get into routine of buying magazines monthly. I found it interesting to see some basic trends echoed in this collection become relevant and interesting again, such as the wide cat eye sunglasses, tailored trousers and mid-length skirts but there are certain motifs I haven't seen since. I was mainly enthralled by the dinosaur handbags the first time around, but now I've come to appreciate the spider brooches (an easy future DIY project), neon printed cotton shirts and general use of tulle for some of the softer, more feminine pieces. Summed up, everything seems clean (save for messy hairstyles and silvery extensions) but with substance provided via colour and vivid textures.





Being but a poor uni student, I normally try to find the cheapest alternative for clothing: I buy second hand compulsively and all my spare time is spent hunting down bargains on eBay- but sometimes it can't be helped. Sometimes my purse strings are pried open by some piece more analogous to the Holy grail. Oh sure, the 1980s produced many metallic modern garments but seldom did we see it doesn't well (in terms of the modern standards we now have in 2013). On that premise, when I can't find a piece of clothing of comparable standard I splurge and treat myself to designer... or I would. Compared to the larger fashion houses and labels, Giles remains relatively rare online and my hopes to own something as gorgeous as a tilled skirt embellished in spiders or a triceratops bag are faraway dreams. But I remain optimistic





It may surprise some of you, but I actually have arachnophobia- a fear of spiders. I pretend to be tough when I wear a ferocious bitchface, black Dr Martens or just generally frown all the time but yeah, lots of little wiggling legs combined with some poisonous fangs freak me out something fierce. However, I think given the opportunity to wear a 1950s housewife inspired sun dress complete with blue and aqua spiders I would leap at the chance like a drunk haggardly grabbing a microphone stand on karaoke night. That's a pretty vivid description, but sometimes fashion like this just inspires me so much to overcome my childhood fears and create little anecdotal quips. I think also re-watching Edward Scissorhands and the general bad weather of Melbourne has left me itching to make pink lemonade and hold lawn parties, starring as my own Joyce complete with long, freshly manicured nails. 






As a whole, I find everything about the presentation and clothing to be cohesive and gel really well with every other piece despite the mad chaos of metallic blue, neon orange and lime minced together in a plethora of different lengths, variations and clothing types. At times we see their jagged edges more akin to scrapbooking scissors used to roughly embody the bony plates of dinosaurs such as the stegosaurus but there finale is a modern twist of Victorian hoopla skirts. To describe it on a whole as eclectic would be a mild understatement. The chief effect of so many ideas is an overall playful, upbeat mood demonstrating fashion doesn't chiefly exist to make one attractive, but it acts as a creative platform where ideas meet and accessible to all. You could argue that the shorter skirts and use of textures to create fluffier, more romantic outlines on the skirts would be a nod towards when Madonna graced the MTV awards red carpet, big hair and all but that was still about fun and less about sex appeal.





Everything in fashion has to end with a bang- Giles Deacon's chief ammunition was in the form of glorious party dresses, heavily featuring in tight bodices in contrast to puffed skirt dramatically modifying the silhouettes of the collection, but I have a certain soft spot for the metallic tassels and simpler smock dress above.I can't imagine any fashion blogger taking a shine to short skirts and generally skimpy dresses (this is precisely how I always imagined night club fashion to be and the reason why I was afraid of the night life). BUT! I feel the clumsy emulation of a child's drawing of a dinosaur in silver and gold fabrics with little puffed sleeves is enough to make me feel like a super nerdy princess. If only that existed... oh wait, she totally does and her name is Princess Bubblegum! Sorry that was tangential- the dress also lends itself well to being worn with tights, flats or platforms and general layering.




1 comment:

  1. this post reads like a magazine article. you are such a great writer and know so much about fashion. your attention to detail made me really look at the pictures and appreciate this collection.
    x

    ReplyDelete