Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Christopher Kane Resort 2014






Christopher Kane opens his Resort 2014 with an under-stated take on minimalist chic while elevating sweatshirts with printed motifs, stone-washed jeans and the colour grey to an art form- and immediately I was intrigued by the first quote of the Style.com review. "I love science", Kane declared. At first I thought the presentation would be an homage to the frizzly hair of Albert Einstein or I would see the representation of scientists able to juggle both complex theories of relativity and intricate, beautiful outfits. But the quote was not in reference to the queer 1930s Marie Curie-nostalgic uniform of endearing business suits; but describing the concept behind this collection and its use of early computer images being able to articulate floral motifs in fine Swiss lace. I was enthralled by such elegantly simple outfits of neutral colours expressed so well- and it opened my eyes to a chic alternative and mastery of jeans and jumpers to be conquered rather than fear. I will attribute my phobia of denim and plaintive clothing to the constant onslaught I encounter everyday at my mundane little university where I drown in a sea of denim jeans and hooded jackets everyday. 







From denim jeans to white sundresses punctuated by a series of tiny holes we see the gentle introduction of the artistic paint strokes and warped grids in the vain of Tron, The Matrix, or for those who don't watch sci-fi movies, that Simpsons Halloween special where Bart and Homer become three-dimensional (which was still scary). And upon that switch from wallflower pretty clothing for Summer to graphical whimsy, my mouth begins to water. If you keep up with my outfit posts, you know I am obsessed with prints and that I've been religiously wrapping myself in my new Romance Was Born pieces but the rigid mathematics of Christopher Kane over rides that love for art and craft supplies and takes it to a whole other level of grids and geometry. So I am dying to add to my growing collection of eclectic patterns some monochrome, skeletonised diamond printed blouses and ice-skater skirts *hint hint*




I found the introduction of canary yellow and red to what had been such a subdued and subtle palette both bizarre and jarring. I'm particularly frustrated by this clumsy shift between ideas because I know from reviewing other fashion collections that what is shown is as important as the order it is shown in. To break it down further (and articulating something that anyone who took English in high school can understand), it's like the structure of an essay; a runway show needs to link between one motif to the next and without contrasting the two ideas together it's immediately obvious that something was missing. I am sorry for what was a very nerdy analogy, but I do enjoy studying science and writing in my spare time about fashion so I suppose I like talking about the things I understand the best.   





Clean lines and a palette of primary colours embody Kane's interpretation of Resort wear for 2014 which makes the transition from aggressive, obnoxious floral tones and bright colours which dominated several years ago to the more sensible approach to Summer. When you think about it, Summer can be plagued with as much bad weather as Winter but there's a delightful sense of leisure when it comes to lying around the house and gorging on ice-cream with the air-conditioning on full blast.I think this new vision of cluttered lines but very simple colours also ties in with Christopher Kane's use of new technologies used in order to create aesthetically wonderful pieces and the marriage between science working to facilitate the ideas of the fashion industry.It echoes the early history of personal computers and refines the best possible art that could have been created from such wonderful Microsoft Windows '98 programs such as MS Paint. When telling a story, you start from the beginning. This feels like an exciting, new beginning for the narrative Kane will create in the future for his fashion line and while I have thoroughly enjoyed just about every collection to date, I am reinvigorated knowing I can expect the unexpected but still recognise signature feminine silhouettes.





No comments:

Post a Comment