Thursday, July 4, 2013

Save The Last Pinker




I thought that after my last Geology exam kicked my proverbial butt I would be holding a mean grudge to end all grudges against all things related to rocks, minerals, sediments and fossils. If there were any brand to make me eat my words, I'm glad it was the creative team of Save The Last Pinker who won me over with their creative name, incorporation of rugged crystals and designs that seem to echo Pamela Love, but envisioned in bright neon colored chord lariats. If you've kept an eye on my blog for long enough you will know I am a sucker for quartz crystals cut in that cliche hexagonal shape so quite a few pieces from this brand acted as immediate eye candy but each release has something special in the narrative conveyed through jewellery more like art than simple ornaments. Their designs do have some aspect of ancient civilization decorations, but the motifs and combinations of color move away from the more explicit copy cat designs that could cost a label all credibility where cultural appropriation is concerned.



As if original designs in a spectrum of aesthetically pleasing colors wasn't enough, I was also pleasantly surprised (ok... more like blown away) when perusing their online catalog that the price tags on these bold, polished beauties were quite small (compared to what I usually browse) with many pieces falling into that magical sale category and at most coasting a hundred or so dollars. With that said, for those of you more accustomed to living the thrifty way there are great ideas out here for you to then fervently stalk on cheaper, independent sites such as Big Cartel and Etsy with the click clack of the keyboard and popping in some keywords. What would I recommend? Supporting the designers who originally coined the brilliant idea and ensuring their financial success so they can continue to create art and breathe new life into what can be a very tired industry. Especially when they fall under the special category of fellow countrymen and in this case, Australian contemporaries who prove we are a nation worthy of consideration when it comes to style and design on a broader, international scale.




No comments:

Post a Comment