Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Marc Jacobs Resort 2013



Even during my awkward, pre-teen phase through to the time I was fifteen I recognized Marc Jacobs collections as juggling this strange and marvelous world of imagination with adult structure and silhouettes, quietly flaunting the body and highlighting the female figure. For someone who idolized lucky charms and motifs, I could appreciate this brand and it opened many doors to me regarding the very adult world of fashion catwalks and photo shoots demonstrating that clothing was as much about characterization and creating a mood, as it was about making one's self look good and feeling sexy. These days, I don't care much about sexy or whatever because I never feel the need to impress passer's by- rather the time I take in my morning rituals to get dressed, brush my teeth and do my hair is a treat I give myself. When not creating carousel masterpieces of suburban housewife proportions, Marc Jacobs still finds time to create dreamy maxi dresses more akin to murals and art with sky high towering platform shoes in the vain of the 1970s. I feel at home with this collection; it doesn't necessarily align with the way I dress at the moment but the vision I have for myself in the future when I may completely abandon shopping at retail giants and instead opt for cozy boutiques, vintage sellers and an online world accessible at the touch of my fingertips.




As demonstrated by The Shining, life is slightly creepier when two serene, but nonetheless startling creatures approach you no matter how cute they are. This approach of showing off two models at once was adopted in the Louis Vuitton Summer/ Spring collection of 2013 and also Marc by Marc Jacobs Resort 2013; each with its own respective vintage theme and muse. For Louis Vuitton the era of the late 1960s and early 1970s was brought to life, whereas bright hair extensions worn by Bambi Northwood-Blythe and Ondria Hardin presented a steampunk, grunge aesthetic to unmistakeably modern clothes. Once again, the strange and backwards world of the 1950s is made vibrant and a little mad with the intermingling of colors, prints and patterns in passively structured prairie maxi dresses, polo shirts, wide swing skirts and sequined dresses of epic, American prom proportions.




What I admire most about this collection is the use of heavy platform sandals which seem to make the ankles of professional models even frailer than normal. Oh sure, I'm pretty strange to begin with and you may dismiss my blatant proclamation of love and desire for footwear that would surely belong to a bygone era but hear me out. In this example above, we can even see the precise matching of rhinestone buckle and shiny pleather used to match a maxi sequin dress topped off with a bow. As if they whole thing weren't perfect enough borrowing tips from Minnie Mouse Marc Jacobs entices audiences of fashion mad girls, wannabe bloggers and the style serious to fork out an extra hundred dollars for a pair of what would otherwise be dubbed by the general public to be dorky shoes. The bright blue of the background is particularly effective and powerful in this single snapshot of models dressed by an obsessive, twin-proud mother and ugh... my heart is just left with a big ol' black hole longing for Summer by the end of viewing the photo shoot photographs. 




No comments:

Post a Comment