Monday, July 15, 2013

Christopher Kane Spring 2009




As Holden Caulfield would say potentially say, I'm a little bit of a phony for pretending to know anything about silhouettes and using complex words when describing the texture and shape of runway collection clothing- me who grew up in Western society and is only really familiar with basic trousers, tops and jackets in my own little universe but I can't help but marvel at the perfect buttercup, SCALLOPED edges oozing from every pore of these clothes.Yes, that's right, I say the word ooze and it is in fact a scientific word if you ever study Geology. Anyway! I'm currently picking through my collection of old fashion magazines, i.e. Russh from 2009 and Vogue from 2010 and 2011 for my journal and there were quite a few salutes and nods of approval towards this collection in the way of photo shoots and collages. Christopher Kane is a genius, I really love his work so much and it's been a personal mission as of late to own something sweet he's designed but alas, I haven't had any luck yet.




Everything about this presentation is just utterly surreal; it seems to represent the fashion industry in its purest form when it's just magical and imaginative. I keep thinking about Tavi's interview with StyleLikeU, which of course was witty and charmed the pants off of me but what interested me most was her vivid description of her first fashion week experience. The illusion of depth is created by using layers upon layers of sheer material in ornate patterns, like a deliciously iced and decorated cake. But perhaps even a little sweeter. Combined with my food analogy (I am sorry) this shade of orange in particular is like half the ingredients necessary to recreate Mel Stuart's 1971 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory', complete with rounded gumball neckline, sleeves and skirt... OK, realistically just about everything in this characteristic, charismatic dress is made of individual scales- the sum of which is greater than each individual component on its own. I was never really in touch with overly girly things when I was a child, but I imagine if I was ever invited to a Spice Girl's themed party maybe I would want to dip into something of this ilk- mainly for the retention of my own sanity I'll admit but the dream is still alive.




It saddens me that a generation of teenie boppers who are only accustomed to whatever is featured on Romwe and what have you, may misguidedly think that Christopher Kane was copying their beloved sites, WHEN IN FACT some stores and brands have the gall to rip-off inventive designs and brilliant designers marketing them for mass-production. Let the record show that my main man Christopher Kane is the brain behind dressing fashionistas world wide in pictures of screaming mandrills and baboons and we are forever in debt to him for that, along with other great but sadly lesser known ideas. Continuing with my angry-old-man-rant I honestly wish fashion designers should be payed royalties or something when artistic license is concerned- oh sure, they probably make enough money as it is BUT IT'S THE PRINCIPLES, DAMN IT!! Ok I think I'm calm now. Since I've seen this top just about everywhere and the design is still so popular I think it's sort of ruined it for me, but then again I am usually naturally positioned against mainstream trends as I generally associate what's popular in fashion with the bullies I encountered in high school and what not. I dunno, I just take pride in being an outsider and different to anyone I encounter in real life these days.





In my experience, the old cliche of "we all want what we can't have" is true when it comes to that difficult color, yellow. It's not something everyone can wear, and I suppose for this reason I am just more eager to try and unlock it like some puzzle or a magic eye thing but it will continue to elude me like every high school crush I ever besot upon. I've been blathering on for the last two months that it is Winter and I am constantly freezing my butt off all the time- which means I have rediscovered all things long-sleeved and my tastes have shifted accordingly. It doesn't matter to me that the skirt of this piece is considerably mini (like seriously, if your dictionary comes with pictures and it includes mini skirt, this would be alongside the definition) since I am now armed with a series of cute tights to use at my leisure as long as the sleeves are long and amusing to flap about. I live in a city where we hold a "Birdman Competition", people build flimsy suits and run off a pier in attempting to fly. This is how I have been brainwashed into loving something in canary yellow despite the fact shades of buttercup, mustard and especially canary yellow all make me look sickly and I swing my arms around like a washing machine from time to time. But still, I like the dreamy tones and connotations of seeing this dress backstage when it pops up on the Internet every now and then.
 



My final kudos goes to a dress that manages to balance two very different materials- sheer and fur in a beautiful marriage of elegance that echoes Alicia Silverstone in Clueless. The 1995 film originally cites Calvin Klein, but let's face it, they haven't had an original idea since having monogrammed underwear and generally lack the enthusiasm and technique to create anything as sensually delicious as this. I can't imagine the above dress being worn in public, save for some middle-aged eccentrics who yearn for attention from the media for whatever reason or perhaps in the boudoir of some celestial creature but this collections makes me think about imaginary places and considers the place and importance of clothing in society and narratives, which is what art should make us do. Case in point, fashion can be elevated to the status of art. Ipso facto, pterodactyl. 




No comments:

Post a Comment