Monday, March 4, 2013

Lisa Simpson




I don't know how I have managed to write some seven hundred blog posts... NEARLY EIGHT HUNDRED INCLUDING DRAFTS (because I obviously have no life) without paying an homage to television's best and brightest eight year old: Lisa Simpson. I was aware Rookie did a tribute play list to her too, but this gives me the chance to forage across the Internet for her best moments. There's so many great ideas she had and screen caps I can show you guys from Simpson based Tumblrs! Sadly they don't heavily feature her among a sea of iconic characters but this is where I step in to deliver on the goods. Hear me out people! Lisa is by far the best character of all; she just showed so much complexity, character development and was all around great and relatable while being intelligent without condescending. She also wasn't riddled with an annoying voice or being treated as an object like her mother, Marge or just a total turn-off as far as human beings are concerned like twin aunts Patty and Selma.
Her love of music actually made me want to play the saxophone and learn about jazz, only to discover after gruelling year that it was not for me. But without a cartoon character's example I wouldn't have learned that about myself which is as awesome as it is partially scary! I can't possibly recount all witty anecdotes, but I'll share my favourite moment. Obviously she affected my other favourite girl, Tavi Gevison, who had a notebook page ripped out mirroring the quote of "you are Lisa Simpson" in her bedroom. It was from that excellent episode showing us that not all substitute teachers are weird and awkward, that they can be inspirational but falling in love with them will most-likely end in heartbreak. It opens up the dialogue for Lolita-esque relationships on a separate, more mature note. Something a little taboo but some women might find it empowering. And if there's one thing Lisa does and continue to do, it's find her identity in a sea of faces.Remember when little Lisa turned vegetarian to rebel against her father and how it later helped her to impress a cute and older boy? For some of us the journey was the other way round, trying desperately to master a new hobby in order to impress a certain someone. But having unique interests and having a heart for the environment is something Lisa injects into the Springfield scene and I for one am eternally grateful to have her stern voice on my shoulder when I struggle to find a stance on certain issues. Lisa was also just a very accessible and likable character: she, like anyone struggling through a mainstream education system at times the buckled under a mountain of peer pressure but that's okay too. The nature of the show managed to resolve the matter within twenty minutes or so which isn't a realistic temporal timeline to live by but if you can learn from someone's mistakes, and essentially fast forward the lesson then why wouldn't you?

By wasting time playing The Simpsons Tapped Out on my phone (not during important lectures I promise!) I have been reunited with all the amazing and various activities she took on- somehow magically without the aid of a driver's license. It's all very well and good to animate/ create a stay-at-home-mother catering to the needs of a gifted eight year old but when you're turning twenty and both parents work full time... well even considering a night class is controversial at best. But seeing as she's had a long time to stay eight years old of course she's had many wonderful journeys exploring religion and exposing materialism for the demon it can be. In the game reading a book takes some forty seconds,  a reputation that puts my sluggish pace to shame. She can also magically conjure them from nowhere without a library or anything which is pretty impressive in itself. Within the series she was never afraid to question something on its social or moral subjectivity,  an invaluable skill needed to be taken seriously in college and life in general. If only the creators hadn't shut her down every time she did criticise the world around her with adult-like seriousness.





No comments:

Post a Comment