Thursday, February 14, 2013

Aftermath

Image Source: Alice in Wonderland (1951)

Image Source: Interview Magazine

Image Source: The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source: Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Image Source

Image Source: Dior Addict featuring Daphne Groeneveld

Image Source

Image Source: Ed Templeton

Image Source: Skins

Image Source

Image Source: The Simpsons

Image Source


Image Source: The Simpsons

Image Source






Image Source: Vintage Hollywood actresses in Valentine’s Day poses - (1920’s - 1950s)

Image Source

Image Source: Vintage Hollywood actresses in Valentine’s Day poses - (1920’s - 1950s)

Image Source: Elena Bartels in “A Little Walk in Tokyo” photographed by Tisch for ELLE Japan, March 2013

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (2010)

Image Source

Image Source: Actress Chloe Sevigny

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source

Image Source: Clueless (1995)

Image Source: The Simpsons


Image Source

Image Source

Image Source: Moonrise Kingdom (2012)









Vintage Valentine's Day cards from scathingly brilliant
Oh dear lord I didn't realise how big a deal Valentine's Day was until I checked the Internet this morning, where the time difference of America makes it still February 14th. Last night I went to the drive-in with my boyfriend- we were an hour early and it was absolutely over flowing with people. The management expected this though and handed out free token red roses and a heart-shaped chocolate for every car. I was a little bummed out we didn't get proper dinner before heading off like I had envisioned, but I always enjoy spending time with Hamish and hanging out.

We sat drinking frozen Coca-Cola for an hour discussing the most meaningless and boring things like what will happen to our parents houses and stuff when they get old, how I have to chew frozen slushie drinks before swallowing out of habit and other embarrassing tidbits. Looking back at the photographs on Facebook flying thick and fast from girls of their gifts I really understand why single people do hate materialistic holidays like this and how social media misconstrues and builds up the reputations of these days. On the drive home we went past the church we always go past and their message was relevant and topical "Love is patient, and it is kind... not boastful or rude". That's what gets up people's noses about Valentine's Day: they have stuff shoved down their throats and are understandably bitter or try to ignore the propaganda.

Also in terms of social commentary I think the laid-back style of my relationship is kind of unusual... or we're just unusual people open with each other and very accustomed to how the other one operates. We're both very sick of work at the moment and are pulling back from commitments in order to focus more on study- until graduation when we can finally be free to get jobs and then a whole other adventure begins. At the same time I feel worried I'm not really growing up or maturing as a person and I'll be stuck enjoying the high school fantasy for my whole life- but I will probably never outgrow Rookie or zines and expressive stuff like that. It's all dawning on me at the moment that I'm not a little kid anymore and I'm kind of blown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment